Learn how to make aguas frescas using any fruit and water, and naturally sweetened with dates. They’re incredibly delicious and refreshing.
It’s almost summer and after a long winter, we finally have good weather here in Spain!
It’s really important to hydrate our bodies when it’s hot and although water is always the best choice, it’s also a great idea to try new drink recipes that are delicious, refreshing and healthy, especially if you don’t enjoy drinking water.
Aguas frescas (fresh waters in Spanish) are non-alcoholic beverages made from fruit, water and sugar and they’re originated from Mexico. They also can be made with other ingredients like cereals, flowers or seeds. Some people add more or less water, but I like to use the same amount of water and fruit (1 cup each).
As I always have frozen blueberries in my freezer, I used them to make this recipe, but please feel free to use any fresh or frozen fruit you have on hand. If the fruit is sweet, you may not need any sweetener. Dates are a good choice, but any other sweetener is okay.
looking for more drink recipes?
- Watermelon mint lemonade
- Fruit infused water
- Vegan Mexican horchata
- Vegan mango lassi
- Piña colada green smoothie
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- 1 cup blueberries or any other fruit (250 g), see notes
- 1 Medjool date, pitted (optional)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Add the water, blueberries (or any fruit) and date to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately with some ice cubes if you like your agua fresca cold. Best when fresh, keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- This drink can be made with any fruit you have on hand. I always add the same amount of water and fruit (1 cup each). One cup is always 250 ml of water, but every fruit has a different weight, so if you’re not going to add blueberries, use a cup, don’t add 250 g.
- Add more or less water, depending on how thick you want your agua fresca.
- Feel free to use fresh or frozen fruit.
- If the fruit is sweet enough for you, don’t add the date. If it’s not, add more dates if needed. Any other sweetener is also okay.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 75
- Sugar: 15.2 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.5 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 0.8 g