- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, water or vegetable stock
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (800 g)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- Heat some oil, water or vegetable stock in a large pot and cook the garlic and onion over medium-high heat until golden brown. Add more oil, water or stock if needed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and oregano), except the basil leaves. Stir and cook over medium-high heat covered for 10 minutes. Then simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Add the fresh basil leaves, stir and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and use immediately or keep cool leftovers in a sealed container for up to a week.
- We served our marinara sauce over some pasta, but feel free to serve it with your favorite dishes: pizza, lasagna, meatballs, stuffed eggplant, stews or even like a dip.
- Feel free to blend your marinara sauce if you prefer a smoother texture.
- Fresh tomatoes are also okay.
- Add your favorite veggies, herbs and spices.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 16
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 122 mg
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.6 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 0.7 g