- 1 pound russet potatoes (450 g), peeled if desired
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Dash of cayenne flakes (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fill a bowl with cold water and set aside.
- Grate or shred the potatoes on a box grater or food processor, and place them immediately into the cold water to prevent oxidation. Drain and rinse well until the water runs clear.
- Remove as much liquid from the potatoes as possible using your hands, a kitchen towel or a potato ricer (you might need to do this in batches). Then transfer to a clean kitchen towel to dry them up a bit more.
- Transfer the grated potatoes to a large mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients (except the oil). Stir with your hands until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or frying pan and spread the potatoes over the skillet in an even layer, then press them down with a spatula. Let the potatoes cook over medium-high heat, undisturbed, for about 2 minutes.
- Stir and press them down again, and cook for 2 more minutes. Repeat this step in 2-minute intervals, flipping in sections, until golden brown and crispy (about 4-8 more minutes).
- Transfer to a plate (lined with a couple of layers of paper towels to absorb excess oil), and serve immediately or keep leftovers in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- Nutritional information has been calculated by using 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 298 mg
- Fat: 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.4 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 2 g