- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup corn kernels (4 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup peas (4 tbsp)
- 1 cup basmati brown rice (180 g)
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water (750 ml)
- Add the onion and carrot to a deep skillet, wok stir fry pan or a large pot and sautee them with some water or oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and spices (cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper) and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water or oil if needed.
- Add the corn kernels, peas and rice and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, add the vegetable stock and bring it to a boil, then cook over medium-high heat for 40 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve. Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Feel free to use canned or frozen corn kernels and peas.
- Cooking time and the amount of vegetable stock or water may vary, depending on the type or brand of rice you’re using.
- Other types of rice are also okay, but as I said above, you’ll need to add more or less liquid and the cooking time will vary.
- Add your favorite veggies and spices.
- If you’re not used to eat turmeric powder, add 1/4 tsp first, stir and try, then add more if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 722 mg
- Fat: 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.8 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 5.2 g