We've found an apartament in Cologne, yay! We're soooo happy and counting the days to start our new life in Germany. There are so many vegan places we want to go to and hundreds of new recipes and ingredients we wanna try. ?
The original recipe is from Alberto's mother, but we made some changes, as usual, I think we never make a recipe like the original one. Our version is fat-free because we used water instead of extra virgin olive oil to sauté the veggies, but feel free to use oil if you want. You can also add some oil when the stew is ready to serve.
This is healthy comfort food! It's a super satiating dish, perfect for cold days, although I love legumes so much I could eat them all year round, even in the hot summer of Spain, it's totally worth it! ?
- We used Spanish Pardina lentils, but feel free to use any other type of lentils, although the cooking time and the water you're going to need may vary.
- You can use vegetable broth instead of the water or other liquids like soy sauce, tamari, wine, vinegar, etc. to cook the veggies. To make the stew even more tasty, use vegetable broth instead of water to cook the lentils and the potatoes, but maybe you'll need to add less salt.
- Canned lentils are okay, but add them to the stew when the potatoes are cooked.
- Veggies are optional, so use what you've got on hand or what's in season in your area.
- If you can't find tomato paste, use tomato sauce or canned or fresh chopped tomatoes instead.
- Don't be afraid to add or remove any ingredient, this stew is so easy to make and always work.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
Fat Free Spanish Lentil Stew
- 5 cups water
- ½ onion
- 1 carrot
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup uncooked lentils
- 1 pound potatoes
- 2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pour 2 cups of water (500 ml) into a large pot and bring it to a boil. Then add the veggies (chopped), except the potatoes and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Blend the sauce and pour it into the pot again.
- Add the tomato paste, stir and add the lentils and 3 cups of water more (750 ml). Cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes (diced) and cook for another 20 minutes or until they're cooked.
- Add the oregano, paprika and salt, stir and cook for 5 minutes more.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Made this quite a few times, quick and easy to prepare. The stew is filling and warm- healthy recipe that i use for weight loss.
Iosune Robles says
Hi Fatima! So glad you liked it 🙂
I just made this and it's tasty, but mine is very watery and there's hardly any lentils. Your photo looks like a thicker stew with a lot more lentils. I did follow the recipe exactly!
Iosune Robles says
Hi, next time try to add less water! Have a nice day 🙂
How much vegetable broth would we use to replace water?
Hi Samantha! The same amount 🙂
Dominica Wyndham says
This is a really lovely recipe. I enjoy everything I make from your blog! Thank you for your inspiration and healthy food. I added some cauliflower and it was really tasty.
Hi! Thanks a lot 🙂 SO glad you like our recipes!
Have a good new life and thank you for posting in the middle of moving chaos!
And, this looks so very good, I love old fashioned, homey and comfortable meals, colder now and I love potatoes and lentils. This is a good one!
Hi! Thanks a lot for your kind words 😀
Would this work with sweet potatoes as well? That's all I have in my kitchen right now lol. Super excited to try this recipe out!
Hi Annie! Yes, but maybe you'll need to cook them longer 🙂
I made this today. I used my pressure cooker. It was delicious. I am new to being a vegan and this recipe is a great beginner recipe.
Hi Dar! You're welcome 😀 I'm so glad you liked it!!! Have a nice day!
How did you do it in the pressure cooker? Please share!
Mary M. Martinez says
This is gorgeous. I have so much trouble photographing stew but you just nailed it. And the recipe looks amazing. This is going on my must try list.
Hi Mary! Thanks a lot 🙂 Hope you like it 🙂
This looks delicious! And super easy... Im going to try this one asap.
Hi Ashley! Thanks 😀 Hope you like it!!
Ana @ Ana's Rocket Ship says
I love the look of those big chunks of potato!
Thank you so much Ana!
It just so happens that I have all of these ingredients in my kitchen.... chaching! I know what I'll be having for dinner tonight, oh yeah
Hi Robert! Hope you liked it 😉
This is fantastic. I've been looking for more ways to use lentils, since I usually eat them with every meal 😀
Thank you for the recipe!
Hi Peter! I LOVE lentils. Have you ever tried lentil bolognese? It's so delicious!!! Here´s our recipe: http://simpleveganblog.com/lentil-bolognese/ Have a nice day!