- We use other fresh herbs as well, like parsley or mint, you choose! Dried herbs are okay, but fresh herbs are best for this recipe.
- We make 6 small falafel waffles with this recipe, but feel free to make 3 big ones.
- Garlic powder is also a good choice and is easier to digest.
- Chickpea flour makes the batter thicker, but feel free to use another type of flour you’ve got on hand.
- These waffles freeze well, so don’t be afraid to make a big batch of them. We defrost them in the fridge or at room temperature and we reheat them in the waffle maker or in the oven.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
I used a Belgian style waffle maker, but this Cuisinart round classic waffle maker also works amazing!
We make this falafel waffles all the time because they’re ready in just 7 minutes, are low in fat, affordable and so delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 2/3 cup raw chickpeas, soaked overnight (120 g)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 cup spinach (30 g)
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chickpea flour (90 g)
- Yogurt sauce (optional)
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight.
- Add chickpeas to a food processor or blender and blend for a few seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the flour) and mix to combine. Don’t overblend, you want a chunky texture.
- Add the flour and blend just until it’s mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the mixture in a bowl, cover and let stand in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat the waffle maker. Once the waffle maker is ready, you can generously coat with non-stick spray or some oil (extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil are my favorite ones). We don’t do this, but it’s up to you.
- Make balls with your hands and place them in the waffle maker. I placed two every time as you can see in the picture above because my waffle maker makes two waffles every time. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. My falafel waffles were ready in 7 minutes.
- Serve with some yogurt sauce on top.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!