Easy marinated tofu, a super simple recipe that makes tofu tastes amazing. It’s low in fat, high in protein and only requires 8 ingredients and 20 minutes.
Tofu is probably the most popular meat substitute in vegan recipes, so when I went plant-based, I decided to try it for the first time. I was so excited, but I didn’t like it at all. Fortunately and after so many tries, I finally fell in love with tofu and it’s actually one of my favorite ingredients at the moment.
We’ve shared many tofu recipes on the blog, but this is really simple, so it’s great if you’re cooking tofu for the first time or if you’re just looking for something super tasty and easy to make. We usually serve it with some rice and veggies, it’s a super healthy and nutritious meal!
You just need to marinate the tofu for 15 minutes, but if you’re in a hurry, you could even sautée the diced tofu (using some oil or not, you choose) and then add the sauce. If you let it marinate longer, maybe 30 minutes or even overnight, it will taste even better, but the tofu will absorb more liquid, so if you want more sauce, just make some more in a minute.
LOOKING FOR MORE TOFU RECIPES?
- Buffalo tofu wings
- General Tso’s tofu
- Korean style spice tofu
- Tofu stir fry with rice and veggies
- Roasted veggies and baked tofu with quinoa
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 10 oz firm tofu (275 g), diced
- 1/4 cup water (65 ml)
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a baking dish or a mixing bowl (water, tamari or soy sauce, vinegar, syrup, garlic powder and cayenne powder) until well combined. Add the diced tofu and let it marinate, covered in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. If you let it marinate longer, it will have a more intense flavor.
- Strain the tofu, but don’t discard the liquid.
- Sautée the tofu in a frying pan until golden brown. You can add some oil or not, it’s up to you.
- Add the marinade liquid to a bowl with the cornstarch and mix until well combined. Pour the sauce into the frying pan and cook until it thickens.
- Serve and garnish with some chopped chives (optional).
- Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
- Prep and cook time don’t include marinate time.
- Feel free to use any type of vinegar, sweetener or spice.
- Cornstarch can be replace by any other starch.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe (without the oil and chives)
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 1024 mg
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.4 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 13.4 g