I’m in love with falafel, it was love at first sight. I think it’s my favorite legume recipe and it has been so helpful for eating on the go because Turkish food is so popular here in Europe, so it’s a great choice to enjoy a vegan meal in (almost) every city.
I tried lentil falafel in a vegan restaurant in Málaga last year and I make my own version now. Have you ever tried lentil falafel? It’s even better, less dry and also easier to digest because I use cooked or canned lentils (traditional falafel is made with raw chickpeas).
There are at least 3 ways to cook falafel, maybe more, but I haven’t tried them. Traditional falafel is fried, but I prefer to bake it or use my waffle maker (it’s so convenient!). Bon appetit!
- Feel free to use any greens or herbs you want: cilantro, parsley, spinach, etc.
- Garlic and onion powder are also a great choice.
- Use chickpea flour or any flour of your choice instead of the oat flour.
- We used pardina lentils, which are quite popular in Spain, but any other type of lentil is okay (I prefer brown lentils).
- 2 cups cooked or canned lentils (350 g)
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup oat flour (120 g)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender (except the oat flour) and blend until well combined.
- To make the oat flour, we just blended some oats in a blender.
- Add the oat flour to the mixture and blend again. You may need to add more or less flour to get the perfect consistency.
- Make about 16 small discs, place them onto a baking sheet (we lined it with some parchment paper) and bake them for 10 minutes for each side or until golden brown.
- Serve the falafel with your favorite ingredients: veggies (we used lettuce, red bell pepper, tomato and carrot), pita bread, tortillas, vegan yogurt sauce or oil-free vegan yogurt sauce, etc.
- Serving Size: 1 falafel
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 88.1 mg
- Fat: 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.9 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 3.4 g