Creamy avocado slaw, a vegan version of the classic recipe, made with avocado instead or mayo. It’s lower in fat, but incredibly tasty!
I was craving a vegan pulled pork sandwich since I discovered I could make it using green jackfruit, but as it’s not easy to find it in Spain, I decided to wait until I was in South East Asia (recipe coming soon!).
As pulled pork sandwich is usually served with coleslaw, I’ve made another slaw recipe with an oil-free, mayo-free dressing using avocado, which is one of my favorite healthy fats, along with tahini. I have to admit since I came to Thailand I’m also obsessed with coconuts!
There are so many versions of coleslaw, some people use only green cabbage, others add some fruit like apple or pineapple and also there are different dressing alternatives like mayonnaise, sour cream or a classic vinaigrette. I really love mayo, but it’s so high in fat (although we have an oil-free vegan mayo on the blog), so I think avocado it’s a better choice.
By the way, we have a new blog design! Do you like it? We’re still making some changes, but we’re so happy with this new look!
LOOKING FOR MORE SALAD RECIPES?
- Vegan Greek salad
- Simple salad with oil-free tahini dressing
- Simple vegan quinoa salad
- Lentil salad
- Vegan coleslaw
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
- 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage (35 g)
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage (35 g)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
For the avocado dressing:
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- To make the dressing, add the avocado to a small bowl and mash it using a fork. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined. Feel free to blend all the ingredients in a blender to get a smoother texture.
- Mix the veggies and the avocado dressing in a large bowl until well combined and serve immediately.
- Best when fresh, keep leftovers separately (undressed) in sealed containers in the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
- Feel free to use any sweetener you have on hand and also lemon juice or vinegar instead of the lime juice.
- Add other veggies you like or even fruits like apple or pineapple.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 273 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.6 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 1.7 g