I bought this amazing book about how to make vegan cheese a few months ago and I haven’t made many recipes because some of them use some refined ingredients and others are no super simple, but I want to experiment more and try new vegan cheese recipes for you guys.
Our vegan cheese is quite popular in our blogs and we love it so much because it tastes like real cheese, is made with simple ingredients and everybody can make it! This vegan butternut squash cheese is pretty similar to our vegan cheese, but tastes different and I don’t know what is my favorite, I really like both. If you’re looking for a healthy vegan mac and cheese recipe, you should give this butternut squash mac and cheese a try!Print
- 2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash (300 g)
- 1/4 cup soy milk or any unsweetened plant milk (65 ml)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil*
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 or 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 7 oz or 200 g pasta of your choice
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Steam the butternut squash for about 10 minutes or until it’s soft. We place a steamer basket in a pot, add some water and when it’s boiling we add the squash and cook it over medium-high heat. You can also boil or roast it.
- Place the steamed squash in a blender with the rest of the ingredients (except the pasta) and blend until smooth.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. We don’t add any salt, but it’s up to you! Cook the pasta while you’re steaming the squash, that way you’ll save some time.
- Mix the pasta and the sauce in the pot.
- We love to add some fresh parsley on top, but it’s optional.
- Store it in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days or even freeze it. You can reheat this amazing dish, but add some milk because the sauce probably will be so thick.
*You can use some water if you prefer an oil-free recipe
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 679
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 333mg
- Fat: 18.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrates: 110g
- Fiber: 19.6g
- Protein: 33.4g
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!