I know this is not a super healthy recipe and is not a quick and easy one neither, but it tastes sooooo good and is vegan! I’ve never tried Buffalo wings, so I don’t know if this recipe tastes like the original one, but I don’t care because I love how these tofu wings taste.
I used tofu instead of chicken wings, but tempeh could work too. Feel free to use margarine, vegan butter or coconut oil instead of the extra virgin olive oil.
I made a vegan ranch dip too, but you can eat the tofu wings with vegan mayonnaise, ketchup or other homemade or store bought dip or sauce you like.
This recipe is also gluten free. I used cornstarch, but you can use another type of starch or flour (with or without gluten) if you want.
If you prefer an easier and healthier recipe, drizzle the red hot sauce and the oil (optional) onto the tofu and gently toss to coat and bake the tofu sticks for 30 minutes (15 minutes on each side).
I posted another ranch dressing recipe a few months ago, it’s less healthy and has more calories, but tastes better, although both are delicious.
Don’t forget to leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or any other social network) if you make these delicious Buffalo tofu wings. You’re gonna love them, they’re healthier than chicken wings and also have less calories, so they’re perfect if you’re on a diet, especially if you bake them.
Buffalo tofu wings:
- 9.7 oz firm tofu (275 g)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp red hot sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Vegan ranch dip:
- 1/4 cup water (125 ml)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 oz firm tofu (140 g)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (40 g)
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp dill
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 390 ºF or 200ºC.
- Cut the tofu into 16 sticks. I had 16 sticks, but you can have more or less depending on the size of the tofu you’re using. Sprinkle the sticks with the cornstarch and gently roll them to coat.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and cook the sticks over medium-high heat over 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons of oil and the red hot sauce in a bowl. Drizzle the mixture onto the tofu and gently toss to coat. Add black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the sticks to a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes on each side.
- To make the ranch dip, place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Recipe adapted from Oh My Veggies