- 2 cups blueberries (300 g), fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp granulated or brown sugar (optional)
- Zest of one orange (optional)
- Put all the ingredients together in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until it boils, mashing the blueberries with the back of a spoon.
- Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately or wait until cool. You can serve it over your chia pudding or your soy yogurt, top your vegan donuts and your vegan French toast with it, spread it onto some vegan bread, or even serve it warm with your banana ice cream for a delicious contrast.
- Keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 7-10 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- You could also use other types of berries.
- Lemon juice and lemon zest are also good options.
- Feel free to omit the sugar or add any type of sugar you have on hand.
- If your compote becomes too watery, add 1 tsp of chia seeds after the compote is ready.
- You can also incorporate other spices like ground cinnamon, ground or fresh ginger, vanilla extract, etc.
- Nutritional info has been calculated without the zest of one orange.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 46
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 0.4 g