- 1 15-ounce can of black beans (425 g), drained and rinsed, see notes
- 1 cup brown, cane or coconut sugar (180 g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (40 g)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (4 tbsp or 65 ml), melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 flax eggs
- 2 tbsp vegan chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor or a powerful blender (except the vegan chocolate chips) and blend until smooth.
- Line an 8×8 inch (20×20 cm) square baking pan with some parchment paper. You could also grease the pan with some coconut oil if you don’t want to use parchment paper.
- Pour the batter into the pan, smoothing the top out evenly, and top with the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (my brownies were ready in 35 minutes). Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- I cooked the black beans from scratch, so I used 1 and 1/2 cups or 250 g of cooked black beans. You could also use other types of beans.
- Nutritional info doesn’t include the chocolate chips.
- Serving Size: 1/9 of the recipe
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 19.9 g
- Sodium: 77 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.8 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 3.7 g