These avocado hummus toasts with chickpeas are a tasty, healthy and nutritious option for breakfast or snack and also for a quick and light lunch or dinner.
Toasts are so popular for breakfast in Spain and it's been a while since I shared the last recipe. They're also a great snack or even a good choice for a quick lunch or dinner if you're in a hurry.
We've included some oil in our diet lately because here in Spain is almost impossible to find vegan options with no oil when we eat at restaurants.
Some studies affirm that oil is not a healthy food, but others talk about the health benefits of this fat. Besides, I've recently read a book called The Blue Zones, which talks about the diet and way of living of the people who've lived the longest and they consume oil every day.
Don't worry if you prefer to avoid oil, we'll share more oil-free recipes and also we'll give some oil alternatives as we do in this recipe. Hope you enjoy the toasts!
If you like these avocado hummus toasts with chickpeas, check out these recipes: easy rye and spelt bread, Spanish salmorejo and avocado toast, strawberry nutella bruschetta, tofu scramble toasts and avocado tomato bruschetta.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @simpleveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Avocado Hummus Toasts with Chickpeas
- 4 bread slices, we used German rye bread
- ⅓ cup hummus
- ¼ avocado
- 7 oz canned or cooked chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or tahini
- Chopped fresh parsley and sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- To make the avocado hummus, add the hummus and the avocado in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients (except the bread, parsley and sesame seeds) and mix until well combined (if you use tahini you'll maybe need to add some water or lemon juice if it's too thick). You can eat them cold or hot. We prefer to cook them in a frying pan until they're warm.
- To assemble the toasts spread some avocado hummus onto the rye bread, add the chickpeas and finally garnish with some parsley and sesame seeds. Heat the bread if you want (we didn't).
- Avocado hummus and chickpeas can be stored separately in sealed containers in the fridge for about 4 days.
- If you can't eat gluten, use some gluten-free bread or rice cakes.
- Feel free to use other legumes, spices, herbs or seeds.
- Store-bought hummus or any other spread can be used instead of the avocado hummus.
Thanks a lot for your comment 🙂