I’ve always loved pesto and Parmesan, that’s why I’m so excited with these vegan zucchini pizza bites. This recipe is 100% vegan and you won’t even notice the difference, it’s awesome!
To make these pizza bites you only have to slice the zucchini, spread the pesto and sprinkle the Parmesan. It’s an easy, fresh and simple appetizer and it’s ideal for the summer.
You can cook the zucchini slices in the oven, but I prefer to cook them in a skillet with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil or in a grill pan. You don’t have to use oil if you don’t want to. If you don’t like zucchini you can also use other veggies.
Pesto is a delicious Italian sauce, it’s one of my favorite sauces and there’s another recipe in the blog using homemade vegan pesto, this vegan pesto bruschetta, another quick and easy appetizer recipe. On this occasion I’ve used spinach instead of basil and walnuts instead of pine nuts. This version is cheaper, but it’s delicious too.
The vegan Parmesan tastes pretty similar to traditional and it has the same texture as the grated Parmesan. If you prefer a gluten-free version, you should use nutritional yeast, if you can eat gluten, you can use brewer’s yeast too.
To make the Parmesan cheese I’ve used raw and unsalted cashews, but you can also use roasted salted cashews. You’ll probably need to add less salt, but the cheese will be delicious too.
If you like pesto as much as I do, you should try these vegan zucchini pizza bites. I’m in love with the vegan Parmesan cheese and this version is much healthier than the traditional, and it has less calories, you need to make this recipe!
- 1 zucchini
- Vegan Pesto to taste*
- Vegan Parmesan cheese to taste*
- Slice the zucchini and cook the slices in a skillet or grilled pan.
- Spread the pesto, sprinkle the Parmesan and you can enjoy this delicious appetizer.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup walnuts (120 grams)
- 2 cups spinach (160 grams)
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil (150 grams)
- 2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan*
- Black pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 1 cup raw and unsalted cashews (150 grams)
- 4 tablespoons brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, grinder, or food processor and blend until you get the desired texture.