We love Thai food, especially Alberto, he wants to go to South East Asia badly because of the weather, landscapes and of course because of the food. I prefer Japanese and Korean cuisine, although I could eat every Asian dish as long as it’s vegan.
I know winter is the perfect time to eat soup, but I make them all year long, even when it’s really hot outside (105ºF or 40ºC, I know, I’m crazy!) because I’m a soup-aholic.
To make this soup, you only need one pot, so you spend less time cleaning, yay! Besides, I also adore this recipe because you can add literally every veggie you’ve got on hand. Coconut milk, Thai chili and tofu are my main ingredients, I always add them to this soup.
This recipe is inspired by the traditional Tom Kha Gai soup, which is made with chicken and some veggies that are almost impossible to get here in Spain. I make my own version, which is so tasty and plant based, good for the planet, the animals and your health!
- Use any veggies or sweeteners you want.
- If you don’t like spicy food, omit the chili. You can add any other type of fresh or dried chili or even some spicy sauce.
- The coconut milk is the main ingredient, but if you don’t like it, add more vegetable broth or some plant milk of your choice. Add less coconut milk and more broth if you prefer a lighter soup.
- We added firm tofu, but any type of tofu will do.
- Sea salt can be used instead of the tamari or soy sauce.
- Lemon juice is also okay.
- If you don’t like cilantro, use some parley or any other fresh herb instead. You can also omit this ingredient.
Vegan Thai Soup
You only need one pot to make this delicious vegan Thai soup. It’s made with easy to get ingredients and you can add your favorite veggies.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3-4
- 1/2 julienned red onion
- 1/2 julienned red bell pepper
- 3 sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2-inch piece of ginger root (about 1 cm), peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 Thai chili, finely chopped*
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water (500 ml)
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk (400 ml)
- 1 tbsp coconut, cane or brown sugar
- 10 oz tofu, cubed (275 g)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- The juice of half a lime
- A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place all the veggies (onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, ginger and Thai chili), broth, coconut milk and sugar in a large pot.
- Bring it to a boil and then cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat, add the tamari, lime juice and fresh cilantro. Stir and serve.
- Keep the soup in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it.
* Feel free to use any type of chili you want.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 339
- Sugar: 5.3 g
- Sodium: 297.4 mg
- Fat: 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 19.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 14.8 g