I’ve never made vegan meatballs before and I’m really happy with the result, they tasted and looked amazing. It’s not a super easy recipe, but it’s not difficult either, actually it’s ready in 40 minutes. This also was my first time cooking tempeh, I’ve eaten it a couple of times, but I’ve never made a dish using this delicious ingredient.
To make the dough easy to handle I’ve added breadcrumbs, almond meal and also chickpea flour. You can use only bread crumbs if you want, but I’m trying to avoid gluten, so I prefer to use these ingredients. If you use only bread crumbs or another kind of flour, maybe you’ll need to add more or less bread crumbs/flour.
If you’re a celiac or you’re just on a gluten-free diet, you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs or any kind of gluten-free flour. The chickpea flour gives these meatballs a delicious falafel taste, so if you don’t like falafel, add more breadcrumbs or almond meal.
The sauce is made with homemade tomato sauce, coconut milk and curry powder, it’s ready in 5 minutes and tastes so good, but feel free to use your favorite sauce.
In the picture above, you can see the meatballs and the sauce freshly cooked. In the rest of the pictures the sauce looks thicker, that’s because it was cold after take many photos. Anyway, if you prefer the sauce less thick, add more coconut milk or even water.
Tempeh is a traditional soy product originally from Indonesia. Tempeh’s fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of protein, dietary fiber and vitamins.
To make the meatballs you need to blend all the ingredients in a food processor and make balls with your hands. You can bake or fry them. I prefer to cook the meatballs in a saucepan with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil to save time.
When the meatballs are golden brown, add the sauce and cook them for at least 10 minutes. The longer you cook them, the better they’ll taste.
The parsley is optional, you can remove it or just use other herbs or spices. If you don’t like coconut milk, use another plant milk, take a look at our 9 easy plant milk recipes post to take some ideas.
I try to avoid salt, so I only use it if it’s necessary. I recommend you to try my recipes and add more salt if you want.
You can veganize your favorite meals and make new delicious recipes, like these vegan tempeh meatballs, they taste even better, are lighter, healthier and cruelty-free. Being vegan is so easy and I’m happier and healthier than ever!
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp flax seeds + 3 tbsp water
- 9 oz tempeh (250 g)
- ¼ cup parsley (a handful)
- ½ cup almond meal (50 g)
- ¼ cup chickpea flour (25 g)
- ½ cup bread crumbs (60 g)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1½ cups tomato sauce (375 g)
- 1 cup coconut milk (250 ml)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- Cook the onion and the garlic (finely chopped) in a saucepan with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until golden brown.
- Blend the flax seeds and the water in a blender. Set aside.
- Add the tempeh to the food processor and pulse to break down. Add the cooked onion and garlic, flax seeds mixture, parsley, almond meal, chickpea flour, bread crumbs, oregano, garlic and onion powder and tomato sauce and mix again. When the dough is ready, make balls with your hands.
- Cook the meatballs in a saucepan with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, cook the tomato sauce, coconut milk and curry powder in a saucepan for about 5 minutes. Add the meatballs and cook for at least another 10 minutes.