Do you like enchiladas? I do!!! When I stopped to eat meat I thought I was going to miss it, but I don’t, there are many delicious and healthy alternatives. To make these vegan sweet potato and black bean enchiladas you don’t need to buy expensive products, all the ingredients are cheap and really easy to get, except maybe the vegan cheese, but it’s optional and you can also use our vegan cheese recipe, it’s made with potatoes and carrots and it tastes like real cheese.
I’ve used this homemade enchilada sauce, it’s ready in 30 minutes or less and it’s totally worth it. You can also use it in other recipes, like pizza, pasta, rice or whatever.
Traditional enchiladas are made with corn tortillas, but if you can’t find them or you don’t want to make them by yourself, you can also use wheat flour tortillas.
You can use any other legume instead of the black beans or even another kind of beans, like red or white beans. I also love to use chickpeas to make this recipe, but red beans are my favorite, they have more antioxidants than blueberries.
Feel free to use your favorite veggies. You can use lemons instead of limes and potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. I’ve used frozen corn kernels, I fry them with the rest of the veggies.
The sauce is very spicy, so be careful with the cayenne powder. If you don’t like spicy food, don’t add cayenne powder or add less.
I shared a photo on Instagram four weeks ago to show you some vegan products like this amazing vegan tomato-basil cheese. You can use another kind of vegan cheese of course or you can remove this ingredient, it’s up to you.
You can use tomato sauce instead of the homemade enchilada sauce, but I recommend you to use it because it’s epic!!! And you only need to spend 30 minutes in the kitchen to cook this awesome sauce.
It’s important to cook your own meals. We are very busy in our daily lives, but homemade meals taste better and they are much healthier because they are additives and preservatives-free. If you don’t have much time, cook simple recipes and leave the elaborate recipes for the weekends, like these vegan sweet potato and black bean enchiladas, although if you have time, you can eat them when you want, they are very tasty and you always wanna eat more!
Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas (GF)
To make these vegan sweet potato and black bean enchiladas you don’t need to buy expensive products, all the ingredients are cheap and really easy to get.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Mexican
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (40 g)
- 1/4 cup corn kernels (40 g)
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans (100 g)
- 1/2 cooked sweet potato
- 2 cups enchilada sauce (520 g)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (or lemon)
- 4 tortillas
- 5.3 ounces or 150 grams vegan cheese slices (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 390 º F or 200 º C.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the chopped garlic and onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped red pepper and the corn kernels. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked beans, the diced cooked sweet potato, 1 cup enchilada sauce (260g), the spices (cayenne powder, ground cumin and coriander powder) and the lime juice. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- I’ve cooked the beans in plenty boiling water for 1 hour. I steamed the sweet potato, but you can also bake or boil them until it’s soft.
- Add 1/4 cup enchilada sauce (130 g) to the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place about 2 or 3 tablespoons of the filling in each tortilla, add some cheese, roll up, and place seam side down in the baking dish; repeat this step with the other tortillas.
- Pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce (130 g) over the enchiladas and add the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 enchiladas (excluding the cheese)
- Calories: 550
- Sugar: 15.6 g
- Sodium: 902 mg
- Fat: 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 90.8 g
- Fiber: 18.8 g
- Protein: 20.3 g