If I had to eat only one dessert for the rest of my life, I would choose this vegan Spanish rice pudding mousse, it’s my all-time favorite sweet recipe. Seriously, it’s AMAZING.
We shared with you a similar recipe a few months ago, a vegan Spanish rice pudding (arroz con leche in Spanish), but this mousse is even better. We’ve used short grain rice instead of the brown rice and soy milk instead of the oat milk, besides, we’ve added some coconut milk, so this recipe is incredibly tasty and creamy. If you’re trying to keep the fat low, use oat or rice milk, although you should add the coconut milk, it’s the secret ingredient!
Try to make the mousse the day before if you can and also serve it really cold, it will taste like heaven and everybody is going to love it.
- This recipe is also delicious with brown rice, but you’ll need to add more soy milk and cook the rice longer (until it’s soft).
- Feel free to add any plant milk or natural sweetener you like.
- If you don’t like coconut milk, try to blend the pudding and if it’s too thick, add some liquid like your favorite plant milk, coconut water or just water.
- 3 cups soy milk (750 ml)
- ½ cup short grain rice (100 g)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 lemon peel strips
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (50 g)
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk (400 ml)
- Chill the coconut milk can in the fridge overnight.
- Place all the ingredients (except the sugar and the coconut milk) in a large pot and bring them to a boil. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Then add the sugar and cook for 5 minutes more or until the rice is cooked. If the pudding is too dry, add more soy milk and stir.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon peel strips.
- Place the pudding in a blender.
- Remove the can from the fridge without tipping or shaking it. Open the can. There will be a firm and thick white layer of coconut cream on top. Scoop the coconut cream into the blender and blend until you get a mousse texture. If it's too thick, add more liquid, you can use more soy milk or the coconut water that has settled to the bottom of the can (you can also use it to make smoothies or any other recipe you want).
- Transfer the pudding to serving bowls, glasses or goblets. Chill the pudding in the fridge for at least one hour, although it tastes better if you make it the day before.
- We added some ground cinnamon, Goji berries and chopped almonds for garnish.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!