We’re going to London tomorrow! Don’t worry because we’ve scheduled a couple of posts for you guys. If you know any vegan place we should visit, please leave a comment. I love Happy Cow because it’s a great website or app for travelling, we always use it when we visit new places and OMG, there are so many vegan restaurants in London. It’s amazing!
I know this is not the healthiest recipe we’ve shared, but it’s totally worth it because tastes awesome. I was dying for vegan quesadillas the other day and made them with chicken-style tofu and some store-bought vegan cheese. If you prefer a healthier version, add some hummus or any plant based spread you like instead of the cheese. Besides, you can bake the tofu or sautée it with some water instead of oil.
Quesadillas are usually served as a starter here in Spain, but we prefer to eat them as the main dish with a lighter side like pico de gallo or some salad.
You can see some pictures of the cooking process: our chicken-style tofu, the lid we used for helping the cheese to melt and how we made the quesadillas. Hope you find them useful!
- You can use tempeh, seitan, beans, mushrooms or any ingredient you want instead of the tofu.
- Our tortillas weren’t very big (about 7.5 inches or 19 cm in diameter). If you use big tortillas, you’ll get probably about 4 quesadillas.
- Add your favorite herbs and spices.
- If you can’t eat gluten, use corn tortillas instead.
These vegan quesadillas taste like heaven and are ready in less than 30 minutes. Give this recipe a try, you’re going to love it!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 10 oz firm tofu (275 g)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 7 oz vegan cheese of your choice (200 g)*
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- Pico de gallo
- Chop the tofu. I prefer to use my hands to make the tofu look like chicken.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the tofu and all the seasonings (paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne powder). Stir and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Place one tortilla on a flat surface, add some vegan cheese, some cooked tofu, more cheese on top (see picture number 6) and fold it in half. Repeat this step with the rest of the tortillas.
- Cook the quesadillas in a frying pan with some extra virgin olive oil (you don’t have to add any oil if you use a non-stick frying pan) over medium-high heat, until golden brown for both sides. I usually cover the pan with a lid for helping the cheese to melt.
- Cut the quesadillas in half or into thirds and serve with some pico de gallo.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 401
- Sodium: 575.7 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 15 g