Vegan cheese recipes are always so popular on the blog, I don’t know why we haven’t shared one in a long time!
We needed a vegan cream cheese to make a new recipe and decided to prepare a homemade version which is super easy to make and tastes amazing. You only need 2 ingredients: unsweetened soy yogurt and salt. To make the cheese even tastier, we also added onion powder and dried dill, but it’s up to you, use your imagination and add your favorite ingredients!
Finding vegan cheeses here in Spain is much easier now than a few years ago, but many of them are so processed, unhealthy or super expensive, so we prefer to make them at home on a daily basis. We love this recipe because is so simple, inexpensive and is ready in less than 5 minutes, although you need to let the soy yogurt stand for at least 8 hours, but it’s totally worth it!
In the pictures below you can see how we made the cream cheese. It’s not complicated at all, but we thought it would be easier to understand if you can see some photos of the process. In the first picture you can see the soy yogurt before discarding the liquid, in the second one the yogurt after we let it stand in the fridge overnight, in the third one the cream cheese in a bowl before adding the rest of the ingredients and last but not least, the final product.
In the picture below you can see how we discard the excess liquid from the soy yogurt, it’s a super simple process (read the intructions in the recipe box to know more about it).
- Feel free to use any unsweetened plant based yogurt you want.
- Add the salt gently until the cheese is salty enough for you.
- The onion powder and the dried dill are optional ingredients. Use any spice, herb or ingredient you like.
- 2 cups unsweetened soy yogurt (500 g)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1 tsp dried dill (optional)
- You want to discard the excess liquid from the soy yogurt and get a creamy texture. To do this all you need is a napkin, a cheesecloth or a piece of cloth, a jar or a cylindrical container and an elastic band.
- Place the soy yogurt into the napkin and allow to drip. We've shared some pictures above to show you how we made it.
- Let the yogurt stand in the fridge for at least 8 hours or until you get the consistency you want.
- When it's ready, place the yogurt in a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Keep the cheese in a sealed container in the fridge.