Summer is my favorite season and it’s almost over, but at least I’m baking again, it’s something! And I’ve just fallen in love with these vegan carrot cake cupcakes, they are absolutely amazing. I love carrots and I eat them in salads, smoothies, savory dishes or just like a snack, they are full of nutrients, especially beta-carotene.
I’ve used whole wheat flour to make these cupcakes, but you can also use spelt or rye flour or even any gluten-free flour. If you don’t want to use a specific kind of flour, you can substitute it for another one, but maybe you’ll need to add more or less milk. If the batter is too thick, add more milk, if it’s too watery, add more flour.
I usually use flax eggs instead of eggs, they are really easy to make. You only have to blend 1 tablespoon of flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water in a powerful blender and that’s all, you have one flax egg, quick and easy! Although there are many egg substitutes, such as mashed bananas, applesauce, or chia seeds. All of them are much healthier than eggs, and they aren’t full of cholesterol and saturated fats.
If you don’t like soy milk, it’s ok, you can use your favorite plant milk. It’s really easy to make plant milks at home and they are usually cheaper. You can also buy it or use water instead of milk, it’s a lighter option.
I usually use extra virgin olive oil because I’m Spanish and it’s the oil we use here in Spain, but you are free to use any other oil you like, coconut oil is a great choice too. Don’t use refined oils, they are cheaper, but they are so unhealthy.
This batter is egg-free, so you can try it and add more or less of any ingredient you like, you can add cocoa too, for example or you can remove any spice if you don’t like it.
For the frosting I’ve used soy whipped cream and chocolate syrup, but there are many alternatives, you can also use coconut whipped cream (if you don’t know how to make it, click here), vegan yogurt, jam or you can eat them with no frosting, they are delicious too!
To distribute the batter I’ve used an ice cream scoop, but a spoon will work too. Carefully scoop batter into the cupcake holders, filling 2/3 way full. You’ll need a cupcake or muffin pan to make this recipe.
Make your own cupcakes, they are healthier and lighter than store-bought. You only need to spend 15 minutes in the kitchen to make this vegan carrot cake cupcakes, and then you only have to wait 20 or 25 minutes more while they are in the oven. They smell really well and they taste even better, you need to give them a try!
- 2 tbsp flax seeds + 6 tbsp water
- 1⅓ cups whole wheat flour (160 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (100 g)
- ¾ cup brown or coconut sugar (120 g)
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup grated carrot
- Soy whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Preheat the oven at 160 ºC or 320 ºF.
- Add the flax seeds and the water in a blender, blend and keep it aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg). Mix well.
- Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl (flax seeds+water, oil, sugar, milk, vanilla extract and carrot). Mix well.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix until well mixed.
- Line a muffin tin with paper or parchment liners. Carefully scoop batter into the cupcake holders, filling ⅔ way full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 or 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cupcakes to cool.
- For the frosting I've used soy whipped cream and chocolate syrup, but you can also use coconut whipped cream, vegan yogurt, jam or you can eat them with no frosting, they are delicious too!