I used to love risottos when I wasn’t a vegan because I was obsessed with cheese and Italian cuisine is so delicious. I hardly ever buy vegan cheeses, they’re expensive in Spain and they’re usually so unhealthy, but I’m in love with nutritional yeast because of their cheesy flavor. If you can’t find it, use brewer’s yeast instead, although it’s not gluten-free.
This risotto has less fat than others because it’s made with extra virgin olive oil and the rest of the ingredients are almost fat-free. You can remove the oil and use some water or vegetable broth to cook the veggies instead.
I know traditional risottos are made with Arborio rice or at least with some type of short-grain rice, but I prefer whole grains because they’re healthier and more nutritious, that’s why I use brown rice in this recipe.
I use garlic and onion in most of my day-to-day meals because we use them a lot here in Spanish and also because I love them. I didn’t add other veggies (besides the butternut squash) to make the risotto, but feel free to use your favorite ones. Mushrooms are great to make risottos, but my body don’t like them, so I can’t eat them.
The brown rice was ready in 25 minutes, but I recommend you to cook the rice according to package directions (other brands are ready in 40 or 45 minutes).
I cook the rice with some water or vegetable broth, meanwhile I cook the veggies with extra virgin olive oil until golden brown and they’re soft.
When the veggies are cooked, I blend three quarters of the vegetables with some water (or vegetable broth), the nutritional yeast and sea salt and black pepper to taste. This sauce is super creamy, so you don’t have to add any vegan cheese or plant milk.
You need to try this vegan butternut squash risotto, it’s absolutely amazing, super healthy and really easy to make! Please leave a comment or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram or any other social network if you make this recipe.
Vegan Butternut Squash Risotto
You need to try this vegan butternut squash risotto, it’s absolutely amazing, super healthy and really easy to make!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 ½ cup water or vegetable broth (375 ml)
- 1/2 cup brown rice (100 g)
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- ½ chopped onion
- 3½ cups cubed butternut squash (470 g)
- ¼ cup water or vegetable broth (65 ml)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast (24 g) You can also use brewer’s yeast, but it’s not gluten-free
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped spinach for garnish (optional)
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions. I heat 1 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth in a saucepan over high heat and when it starts to boil, I add the rice and I cook it for 25 minutes over medium-high heat. The cook time depends on the type of rice or even the brand you’re using.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil to taste in a frying pan and cook the garlic, onion and squash until golden brown and they’re soft. You can add more oil or some water or vegetable broth if they start to stick to the frying pan.
- Place three quarters of the veggies, the nutritional yeast, 1/4 cup of water or vegetable broth and sea salt and black pepper to taste in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Mix the rice and the sauce in the frying pan and cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Add some chopped spinach for garnish (optional).