Natillas is a typical Spanish dessert, which is similar to a custard dish. The traditional recipe is made with eggs and cow’s milk, but we’ve used some cornstarch and some plant milk instead. In addition, we’ve added butternut squash, so it’s a perfect healthy treat for Halloween.
If you don’t like squash, feel free to add other ingredients like vanilla extract, cocoa powder, applesauce or whatever you like.Print
Vegan Butternut Squash Natillas (Spanish Pudding)
Natillas is a typical Spanish dessert, which is similar to a custard dish. We’ve made a vegan version using also some butternut squash.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Preheat the oven to 390ºF or 200ºC.
- Place the butternut squash in a baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes or until it’s cooked.
- Then place the squash in a blender. Add 1 and ½ cups or 375 ml of almond milk, the coconut milk, sugar and cinnamon.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over high heat.
- In the meanwhile, mix the rest of the almond milk and the cornstarch in a bowl until well combined.
- Pour this mixture into the saucepan, stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Serve the natillas into 4 bowls and let them cool down at room temperature. Then keep in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- We also added some ground cinnamon on top.