Tortilla (or Spanish Omelette) has always been one of my favorite dishes, since I was a child. It’s a typical Spanish recipe, probably one of the most famous in our country. We call it “tortilla de patatas” (potato omelette in English) and it’s made of eggs, potatoes, olive oil and salt, and some people add onion too. This is a vegan version and it’s so delicious, you won’t even notice the difference!
Traditional Spanish Omelette is made with potatoes fried in olive oil, it’s really yummy, but it’s not very healthy, so we’re gonna share with you the traditional recipe and a healthier version, that only requires two tablespoons of oil.
Here in Spain we always use olive oil for cooking, but you can also use whatever oil you like. I love olive oil, I couldn’t live without it!
We’ve used gram or chickpea flour with cold water instead of eggs, it’s really cheap, simple and easy, and it tastes amazing. There are other alternatives to substitute the eggs but this is our favorite. This recipe is gluten, soy and dairy free and it’s also vegan, requires 6 ingredients, or 5 if you don’t want to add onion (but I really recommend it!). Have you ever tried tortilla or Spanish Omelette? It’s really tasty, you’re gonna love it!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 800 grams or 28 oz potatoes (about 4 medium potatoes)
- ½ onion
- 16 tablespoons gram or chickpea flour
- 16 tablespoons water (+ 1 cup or 250 milliliters water if you make the healthy version)
- Salt to taste
- Dash of black salt or Kala Namak (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and wash them. Cut them in half lengthwise. Then, slice the potatoes in pieces approximately 3 mm or ⅛" thick. Peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- At this step, you'll have to choose one version. Healthy version: In a non-stick frying pan, place one or two tablespoons of olive oil and when the oil is hot, add potatoes, onion, salt to taste and 250 milliliters or 1 cup of water and bring it to boil. You may need to turn down the heat slightly, so the potatoes do not burn. Cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally. Remove the potatoes and onion from the pan with a slotted spoon. Traditional version: In a non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium high heat, add potatoes, onion and salt to taste. The oil should almost cover the potatoes. Cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally. Remove the potatoes and onion from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- In a bowl, place 16 tablespoons of gram flour and 16 tablespoons of water, add salt and beat by hand with a fork. Pour in the potato onion mixture. Mix all together.
- Place one or two tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and heat on medium heat. Pour in the potato onion mixture and cook over medium heat for about five minutes. Place a plate over the tortilla and turn it around and cook the other side for about another 5 minutes. Turn the tortilla again if required until it's totally cooked.
- Add black salt to get a truly authentic egg-like taste.