It’s so easy to be vegan when you eat delicious foods, like this tofu stir fry with rice and veggies. I think I’m in tofu heaven! This recipe is easier than it looks and you can make it even easier if you use soy sauce instead of the sauce I’ve made and you remove the tofu. Use your favorite veggies, don’t be afraid, this rice is always delicious.
I thought tofu was that rare, soft thing that vegetarians eat, I’ve never tried until I became a vegetarian and I didn’t like it the first time I’ve eaten it. But most of my favorite blogs used it and prepared awesome recipes with tofu, so I tried so many recipes and now I should admit I couldn’t live without tofu!
Soy is a controversial food and I’m not a hater at all, but I try to eat soy in moderation, and when I do, I usually eat tofu or soy sauce. I drank soy milk before, but now I prefer almond or cashew milk, they are healthier, easy to make and taste better.
I’ve used basmati rice because it has a lower glycemic index than regular rice. I know I should eat brown rice because it’s healthier and more nutritious, but I don’t like how it tastes, I need to find delicious recipes. I would appreciate your suggestions.
Don’t be afraid to eat rice, it won’t make you fat, it’s a myth, you need carbs to live, but you have to eat the healthy carbs, like potatoes, rice, corn, whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc.
If you don’t like how tofu tastes, maybe it’s because you don’t know how to cook it. If tofu is soft and soggy I don’t like how it tastes, except some recipes like tofu feta or miso soup. I love tofu when it’s hard and crispy and it’s really easy to get this texture.
Before cooking tofu you need to press it, it’s so easy! Take the tofu out of the package and drain off the water. Place a towel, a dishcloth or a paper towel on a flat surface (I usually use a cutting board or a dish), put the tofu on top and put another towel, clean dish cloth or paper towel on top of the tofu. Place something heavy on top, such as a bowl, 2 or 3 cans or whatever. Let the tofu sit for at least 30 minutes. You can skip this step, but I recommend you to press the tofu because it will taste better and it will cook faster too.
I usually cook tofu in the oven because you don’t need to add oil, you only have to bake it on a baking sheet with baking paper for 30 minutes (15 minutes each side). You can also cook the tofu in a fryer or a pan with oil until golden brown.
Now the tofu has the perfect texture, but it’s still tasteless. What I do is to add soy sauce in a pan and cook the tofu for a couple of minutes over high or medium-high heat.
I tried the Kung Pao sauce when I wasn’t vegan or vegetarian and I loved it, so I make a vegan version now, it’s not exactly the same recipe, but it’s delicious and the ingredients are really easy to get.
This tofu stir fry with rice and veggies is easier than you think and it’s also delicious with tamari or soy sauce, if you have a simpler recipe. If you like Asian food, you need to try this recipe, it won’t disappoint you!
- ⅔ cup basmati rice (135 g)
- 9.7 oz firm tofu (275 g)
- Soy sauce to taste
- ¼ cup julienned pepper (35 g)
- ¼ cup julienned green pepper (30 g)
- ¼ cup julienned onion (30 g)
- ¼ cup julienned zucchini (35g)
- ¼ cup bean sprouts (25 g)
- ¼ cup corn (35 g)
- ¼ cup broccoli (20 g)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cook the rice according to package directions. I recommend you to cook it the day before.
- I usually cook tofu in the oven because you don't need to add oil, you only have to bake it on a baking sheet with baking paper at 180 ºC or 355 ºF for 30 minutes (15 minutes each side). You can also cook the tofu in a fryer or a pan with oil until golden brown.
- Add soy sauce in a pan and cook the tofu for a couple of minutes over high or medium-high heat.
- Heat water in a wok (or a pan) and when it's boiling add the veggies. Let the veggies cook for about 5 minutes.
- To make the sauce you only have to saute the minced garlic cloves in a saucepan until golden. Add the cayenne powder, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce and cook for at least 5 minutes. Mix the water and the cornstarch in a cup and add this mixture to thicken the sauce. When it's thick, it's ready.
- Pour the sauce in a wok and when it's hot, add the veggies, the tofu and the rice and cook for a couple of minutes or until the rice is hot.