Summer rolls (or Vietnamese rolls) are very similar to spring rolls but they are made with rice paper and they are not cooked, so it’s a healthier and lighter alternative.
We tried summer rolls recently and now we can’t live without them! Besides this recipe is so simple, quick and easy and it’s really delicious.
Since we are vegetarians, we eat lots of fruits and vegetables every day. Now, we’re trying to eat more raw food because when you cook food you destroy some of the nutrients, so we’re searching new recipes and this one it’s just perfect.
To make summer rolls you just need to soak the rice paper in water, place the filling and close the roll as you can see in the photo below.
To make the filling you can use your favorite ingredients. For this recipe, we’ve used carrot, red cabbage, avocado and garlic sprouts. We are trying to incorporate sprouts into our diet because they are full of nutrients, are easy to digest and full of life, in addition, we can easily prepare at home. If you don’t know how to make it don’t worry, we’ll share the recipe with you in the future.
To make the sauce, we’ve used this recipe from Keepin ‘it kind, we’ve made some changes but it’s quite similar. It’s hot, creamy and delicious, you need to try this amazing sauce! It’s made with tahini and coconut milk, among other ingredients, but also you can eat your rolls with sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce or tamari.
If you don’t like raw rolls, you can also steam or fry them. For the filling you can also use cooked vegetables, rice or even legumes. We prefer to eat them raw and make spring rolls when we want something cooked.
We usually use tamari instead of soy sauce in our recipes because it’s gluten-free. If you don’t like spicy or hot sauces, you can remove tabasco (or use less than a teaspoon). You can also use finely chopped chili if you want.
As you can see, we don’t have to give up Asian cuisine when we’re on a diet, in fact, it’s one of our favorite cuisines, it’s very light and healthy, we’re always trying new recipes like these summer rolls (or Vietnamese rolls) and we have to admit that all the recipes are so delicious!
- 6 sheets of rice paper
- 1 carrot
- 2,1 ounces or 60 grams red cabbage
- 2 avocados
- 1,4 ounces or 40 grams garlic sprouts
- ½ cup tahini (125 grams)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (60 grams)
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon tabasco
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Fill a wide bowl with water. Soak one sheet of rice paper and place the sheet on a cloth or dry surface.
- Place the filling: carrot, red cabbage and avocado, cut into strips, and garlic sprouts on top.
- Close the roll as you can see in the fourth photo. Repeat with the remaining rice paper sheets and ingredients.
- To make the sauce you just need to mix all the ingredients (tahini, coconut milk, tamari, lemon juice, agave syrup, tabasco, garlic powder and ground ginger).