I love potatoes! It’s one of my favorite ingredients, I could eat only potatoes if I was stuck on a desert island (well, if I could cook them, of course). Patatas bravas (or brave potatoes) is a typical Spanish tapa or appetizer. The traditional recipe consists of cubed potatoes fried in oil and served with a hot sauce and it’s a vegan recipe (yay!). I prefer to roast the potatoes instead of fry them because is lighter and it’s really delicious too.
This recipe is much healthier than the traditional version because it has less fat and it’s also gluten free (the sauce is usually made using wheat flour). All the ingredients are 100% natural, there are no additives or preservatives, and it’s so easy to prepare, so you can make your own sauce and you don’t have to use store bought.
Spanish cuisine is so amazing, there are so many delicious recipes and there a lot of vegetarian and vegan dishes. In addition, you can veganize all the dishes you want, it’s so easy!
Many people avoid carbs because they think carbs make them fat, but it’s not true! If you eat healthy carbs, such as fruits, vegetables, potatoes or rice, you don’t have to be afraid of gaining weight (if you eat healthy recipes of course). I love this patatas bravas because all the ingredients are healthy and low in fat, except the extra virgin olive oil, but I only add one or two tablespoons.
You can bake the potatoes with a little bit of oil olive on top or you can bake them with no oil, in this case I recommend you to put cold water in a pan to preheat your oven because your potatoes will be less dry.
If you can make the traditional recipe you can fry them in hot extra virgin olive oil or even you can boil the potatoes and then fry them.
I use only 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil to make the sauce, but you can add more or less if you want, even you can remove the oil, you sauce will be delicious too! Patatas bravas is also usually served with ali oli (mayonnaise with garlic), it’s not vegan but you can make the mayonnaise using plant milk instead of egg.
Patatas bravas is one of my favorite Spanish dishes, you should try it! If you love potatoes as much as I do, you should also try Tortilla de patatas or Spanish Omelette, you can find a vegan recipe on the blog. Be happy and eat potatoes!
- 28 oz potatoes (800 g)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- ⅛ tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp sweet or hot paprika
- Preheat the oven at 430 F or 220 º C.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet with a little bit of oil and sea salt to taste. Bake them for 40 minutes.
- To make the sauce you need to add a little bit of oil in a saucepan and when it's hot, add the minced garlic, the chopped onion, the cayenne powder and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more.
- Blend the sauce, add the tomato sauce, the paprika, salt to taste and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve the potatoes with the sauce on top.