We made this recipe when we were in Cologne because we wanted to try rhubarb for the first time making something delicious for you guys and we LOVED it so much! It’s our version of the classic peanut butter jelly sandwich, but we used homemade rhubarb jelly and also added a cooked banana, so yummy!
Rhubarb is not a common ingredient here in Spain, it’s really hard to find it actually, so when we saw it in a supermarket, we knew we had to buy it. Fortunately, we’ve found it in a local market here in Spain (yay!) and I made another batch of this amazing jelly yesterday. It’s the best jelly I’ve ever tried and is made with natural ingredients.
Homemade peanut butter is great, you only need peanuts to make it and it’s the healthiest peanut butter you can eat. If you don’t want to make it at home, at least try to avoid those that are made with nasty ingredients like preservatives or hydrogenated oils.
The rhubarb is so beautiful! It seems like celery to me, but it tastes totally different. I would appreciate if you share some recipe ideas using this amazing ingredient, just leave a comment and let me know. Thanks for your help guys!
- Don’t cook the banana if you want to save some time, just use it raw.
- Feel free to use any other jelly or nut butter (I love almond butter so much).
- If you can’t get rhubarb, use strawberries or any berries instead.
Peanut Butter & Rhubarb Jelly Sandwich
This is our version of the classic peanut butter jelly sandwich, but we used homemade rhubarb jelly and also added a cooked banana.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 1 banana
- 4 slices of bread
- Peanut butter
- Rhubarb jelly
For the rhubarb jelly:
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb (240 g)
- 1 cup chopped strawberries (150 g)
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup water (65 ml)
- 8 tbsp coconut or brown sugar
- Cut the banana into two pieces. Then cut each piece lengthwise.
- Heat some water in a frying pan and when it’s hot, add the banana pieces. Cook over medium-high heat until golden brown for both sides.
- Heat the bread in a frying pan or a toaster.
- Spread the peanut butter onto one slice of bread, add the jelly and place two pieces of banana on top. Then cover with another slice of bread. This recipe makes two sandwiches, so repeat this process.
For the rhubarb jelly:
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring them to a boil.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 25 minutes or until it’s done.
- Mash the fruit with a fork to get a better texture.
- Transfer to a glass container and let it cool down.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!