Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year because my parents and I lived in the south of Spain and the rest of my family in the north, so we spent the holidays with them. Besides, my birthday is on January 1st, so it was (and is) a great time for me!
I love to eat, I really do, so this is another reason to enjoy Christmas time because all the delicious food it’s available and this is one of my favorite recipes, I always make this at least once during the holidays. When I wasn’t vegan, this was my favorite recipe and is really easy to make a vegan version. It’s a dish I’ve found in some Italian restaurants in Spain and they call it “lombo al pepe”. It’s made with pork loin, pasta and a creamy peppercorn sauce made with cooking cream. I’ve used seitan instead of the pork, extra virgin oil (I don’t know if they use oil or butter) and vegetable cooking cream. It tastes even better, I promise!
This is not a super healthy and light recipe, I know that, but it tastes so good you can’t die without trying it at least once in your life, seriously. You know I usually follow a low fat diet, but as I make this once in a while (literally once or twice a year) it’s not a big deal. If you make this recipe, please let me know, I love knowing from you so much!
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta and other meat substitutes like tofu or tempeh.
- Potatoes can also be a great side for this dish instead of the pasta. Just bake, steam or boil them until they’re soft.
- The traditional recipe is made with peppercorns, but I usually only add ground black pepper because it’s easier to eat and enjoy the dish. Just add ground black pepper to taste, but not the whole 2 tablespoons, it would be too much pepper.
Pasta with Peppercorn Sauce and Seitan
This is one of the most delicious dishes I’ve ever tried. I know it’s not a super healthy and light recipe, but it’s totally worth it!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2-4
- 7 oz pasta of your choice (200 g)
- 10 oz sliced seitan (300 g)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp peppercorns
- 1/4 cup white wine or cognac (65 ml)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (65 ml)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable cooking cream (250 g)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the seitan over medium-high heat until is golden brown on both sides. Set aside the seitan for later.
- Cook the peppercorns and the wine in the frying pan over high heat for about 1 or 2 minutes or until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Add the seitan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, remove the frying pan from the heat, add the pasta, stir and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 564
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 769.7 mg
- Fat: 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.5 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 25.3 g
- Cholesterol: 81.5 mg