I’m so happy because I’ve made vegan mozzarella for the firs time! It’s so delicious cold and hot and is low in fat. We used it to make the pizza you can see in the picture above (we’ll share the recipe of the gluten-free crust, which is made with just 3 ingredients and also the recipe of the pizza) and the crostini you can see in the last picture (don’t worry, we’ll share the recipe as well).
Although this mozzarella tastes amazing, it’s not like the real one, it doesn’t have the same consistency, doesn’t taste the same and isn’t as firm either, but it’s so delicious, low in fat, much healthier and cruelty-free.
It’s really easy to make, but Alberto has taken some pictures of the process for you guys (follow him on Instagram!). I couldn’t tell you if I prefer the mozzarella cold or hot, it’s so GOOD! It’s quite stretchy, so you can give it the shape you want after you slice it.
- Feel free to use any unsweetened plant milk you want.
- I’ve only made this recipe using tapioca starch or flour, so I don’t know if it could work with any other starch or flour.
Low Fat Vegan Mozzarella
I don’t know if I prefer to eat this low fat vegan mozzarella cold or hot. It’s perfect to make pizzas and is the healthiest mozzarella I’ve ever tried.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 5 balls
- 3.5 oz firm tofu (100 g)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (125 ml)
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch or flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over high or medium-high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly until it thickens. The mixture will come together into a ball (see picture number 3).
- Transfer to a bowl and let it cool down a little bit. Then make balls using a spoon and your hands (wet them to prevent sticking). Place the balls in a bowl with brine (I added about 1/2 tsp of salt for each cup or 250 ml of water) and let them cool down completely.
- Eat the mozzarella cold or hot.
- If you’re not going to eat it immediately, store the balls in a sealed container with some brine for about 3 to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 57
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 123 mg
- Fat: 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.9 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 4.9 g