How are you guys? We’ve been spending some time with our families in Malaga and Seville, enjoying the sun, the beach and the hot weather (too hot sometimes, especially in Seville). We’re also looking for a new apartment and hopefully we’ll find it soon!
Today’s recipe is EPIC. It isn’t as simple as others, but it’s totally worth it and is also low in fat, yay! It’s perfect for those of you that miss the taste of meat or if you’re trying to eat less meat or going vegetarian or vegan. We don’t eat seitan very often, only once in a while, but it tastes amazing and is much healthier than other fake meats.
I love to eat this marinated seitan with pita bread, veggies and our oil-free vegan yogurt sauce, but you can also eat it without any bread or use some corn tortillas instead. Other sauces will work as well, like ketchup, salsa, barbecue sauce or even homemade tomato sauce. Use your favorite one!
- I recommend you to marinate the seitan for at least one hour, but if you’re in a hurry, you can marinate it for just 15 minutes or even mix it with the marinade ingredients and bake it right away, although the seitan will be less tasty.
- If you can’t eat gluten, use corn tortillas or some gluten-free bread. Tofu and tempeh are great substitutes for the seitan, but maybe the baking time may vary.
- We don’t consume oil, but you can use it if you want to fry or sauté the seitan. If you use it, remove the tahini or the seitan will be too greasy.
- Use any veggie, spice or ingredient you want.
Low Fat Vegan Kebab
This low fat vegan kebab is perfect for people who miss the taste of meat, are trying to eat less meat or going vegetarian or vegan. It’s an EPIC recipe!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 9 oz seitan (250 g)
- 6 pita bread
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 6 romaine lettuce leave
- Vegan yogurt sauce to taste
For the marinade:
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Black pepper to taste
- Cut the seitan and the veggies into strips. Set aside.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Add the seitan and mix with a spoon or using your hands. Cover the bowl (I used a dishcloth) and let stand for 1 to 2 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 355ºF or 180ºC.
- Place the seitan onto a baking tray with some parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Stir every 10 minutes.
- Heat the pita bread using the oven, a skillet or a toaster (optional) and fill it with the seitan, veggies and some yogurt sauce to taste.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!