We’re back from Scotland! I’ve been sharing some pictures of the places and the restaurants we’ve visited on Instagram Stories, but I could share them on my feed if you want, that way they won’t disappeared. I’ve been thinking in sharing more pictures about my travels and my real life on Instagram, but I don’t know what to do, maybe you prefer I only share the pictures of the recipes we post on the blog. Please let me know what you think!
I’ve been so into Italian food lately. I’ve always loved it, but since I’m vegan, I’m making Italian-style recipes all the time on my daily basis. It’s also the perfect food for special occasions, so we prepared an Italian dinner last Valentine’s Day. We wanted to be as healthy as it could, so I developed this amazing recipe.
Garlic bread is my all time favorite Italian appetizer or starter, but it’s so high in fat and calories, so I hardly ever made it until this recipe came into my life. It’s usually made with oil, margarine or butter and cheese. I’ve used a mixture of tahini and water and our parmesan vegan cheese instead. It is THE BOMB.
I love this bread so much because is made with healthy fats: tahini and cashews (omit the parmesan cheese if you want or use any other nuts instead of the cashew, almonds and walnuts work great). It is much healthier than the traditional garlic bread and tastes like heaven too.
The garlic mixture is perfect to make pizzas, pasta, panini, bruschetta or any Italian-style recipe you want. It has a strong flavor, so don’t eat it raw or use garlic powder instead (add it gently to taste).
- Add more or less garlic, depending on how strong you want your garlic bread.
- Feel free to use any other nut or seed butter instead of the tahini.
- Fresh basil is a great choice as well.
- Use the kind of bread you want, but you may need to add more or less of the garlic mixture if it is bigger or smaller than mine.
- Another option is to add some store-bought cheese, but in this case your garlic bread won’t be low in fat. Besides, you’ll need to bake it for about 5 to 10 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.
Low Fat Vegan Garlic Bread
This low fat vegan garlic bread is the best appetizer or starter I’ve ever tried. Besides, it’s much healthier and lighter than the traditional one.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-8
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup water (65 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 1 loaf of bread, we used a 10-ounce loaf of spelt bread (270 g)
- Vegan parmesan cheese to taste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Blend all the ingredients (except the bread and the parmesan cheese) in a food processor or blender for a few seconds.
- Cut the loaf lengthwise and spread the mixture on both sides of the bread.
- Bake onto a baking sheet for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add vegan parmesan cheese to taste on top, slice the garlic bread and serve.
- You can reheat this bread, although is also delicious cold.
Recipe adapted from Laura in the kitchen.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe without the parmesan cheese
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 2.2 g
- Sodium: 190.1 mg
- Fat: 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.2 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 5.2 g