Hi guys! We’re in Pamplona, a beautiful city in the North of Spain, visiting my family and trying to survive because it’s not easy to find vegan choices here, at least not as easy as it is in other Spanish cities. ?
Grilled corn is so popular in Málaga (the city where we live), especially in summer, although people use butter to make them. We used a little bit of extra virgin olive oil instead, but you can use any other oil, vegan butter or make a fat-free recipe.
I’ve never thought about eating grilled corn with aioli, but I saw this recipe from Minimalist Baker and I knew I needed to try it because Aioli is so popular in Spain and I really love it! It means “garlic and oil” in Catalan (a Spanish language) and also in Provençal because the traditional recipe is made with these two ingredients, although at least in Spain, people usually make aioli (we call it alioli or allioli) using eggs or cow’s milk and oil. We used our vegan mayonnaise recipe and added a clove of garlic and some raw spinach to make it green. It was so tasty and easy to make!
We made 4 ears corn and we boiled two of them for 30 minutes and then grilled them for 10 minutes more. We grilled the other two ears corn for about 30 minutes. When you boil the corn first, it’s softer and the corn kernels are bigger, as you can see in the picture above.
- We’ve never made our mayo using another plant milk, so we don’t know if it could work.
- Feel free to use another type of oil. I also love extra virgin olive oil, although it has a strong taste.
- If the oil and the milk are at the same temperature, the aioli is easier to make.
- You don’t need to use apple cider vinegar, other vinegars will work or even lemon juice.
- I always use an immersion blender to make mayonnaise and aioli, but you can also use a regular blender, just add all the ingredients (except the oil), turn on your blender at a low speed and add the oil gently until the sauce thickens.
Grilled Corn with Vegan Green Aioli
This grilled corn with vegan green aioli is out of this world! It’s so tasty and easy to make. You need to give it a try.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2-4
- 4 ears corn, unhusked
- Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
Vegan green aioli:
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (65 ml)
- 1/2 cup unrefined sunflower oil (125 ml)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup raw spinach (15 g)
- You can boil the ears corn for 30 minutes over medium-high heat and then grill them for 10 minutes more or just grill them for 30 minutes or until golden brown. The corn will be softer if you boil it first.
- We used an electric griddle because it was what we had on hand. We added some extra virgin olive oil and cooked the ears corn over medium-high heat.
Vegan green aioli:
- Before making the aioli, please read the tips we’ve shared on this post.
- Combine all the ingredients in the blender cup, place the immersion blender in so that it sits firmly on the bottom of the cup and pulse until the aioli emulsify. Once most of the vegan aioli has emulsified, you can move the blender up and down to incorporate any oil that is sitting on the top.
- Add the raw spinach and blend again.
- Try the aioli and add more salt if needed. If it’s too thick, add more milk and if is too watery add more oil. Pulse again until the aioli has the perfect consistency.
This recipe was inspired by Minimalist Baker.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!