My uncle gave me some huge zucchinis from his garden. I only used zucchini to make savory recipes like pisto, zucchini noodles with vegetables or zucchini noodles with avocado sauce, but I wanted to make something sweet, so I tried to make zucchini muffins and I succeed!
I shared these simple vegan chocolate chip muffins a few months ago, they’re amazing, but I changed the recipe and I made a healthier gluten-free version with zucchini. As this was my first time making desserts with zucchini, I didn’t add much, but you can add more if you want.
I greased the muffin pan with some coconut oil, but you can use another oil or muffin liners. I think muffins look better without the liners, but it’s up to you.
- If you use a non stick muffin pan, maybe you don’t need to grease it.
- This recipe is gluten-free, but you can use other flours with gluten if you want, although you probably need to add more or less flour. If you prefer to use another gluten-free flour, take a look at my guide to gluten-free flours.
- Use the sweetener and the plant milk you prefer.
PRODUCTS I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINKS):
- 1½ cup grated zucchini (260 g)
- 1 cup brown rice flour (140 g)
- 2 cups buckwheat flour (280 g)
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (140 g)
- 3 bananas
- 1 cup almond milk (250 ml)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (65 ml)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or 355ºF and lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan with some coconut oil.
- Grate the zucchini using a food processor or a grater. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (the flours, baking powder and baking soda).
- Blend the rest of the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients in the bowl and whisk. Add the grated zucchini and stir.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan (I use an ice cream scooper to scoop the batter in perfectly, but it's not necessary).
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan. Then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or any other social network).