Here’s my all time favorite gluten-free baked falafel! It’s amazing and I usually eat it with raw veggies and some vegan yogurt sauce on top, so delicious!
Cooking your our food is so rewarding, you can use the ingredients you like, for example, I make homemade yogurt sauce and I prefer to bake the falafel because I don’t feel well when I eat fried food. This recipe is also oil-free, yay! The yogurt sauce is made with extra virgin olive oil, but you can remove the oil or use another sauce.
Falafel is usually made with bread crumbs or flours that contain gluten, but I use oats instead. I also use leafy greens instead of the pita bread, romain and collard greens are my favorite ones, but feel free to use any greens you want.
Some people use canned chickpeas, but I prefer to use raw chickpeas and soak them overnight. The more natural is your food, the healthier it is and as you don’t need to pre-cook them, you don’t save time using canned chickpeas. Here in Spain canned food is full of sodium, preservatives and other additives, so I try to avoid this kind of food.
I just want to thank you all your love and support with our first eBook: simple vegan smoothies, 31 delicious and easy recipes for a healthier you, you’re the best readers in the whole world! ?
- You can use any other fresh herb instead of the cilantro, I also love parsley, mint and basil.
- To make the oat flour you just need to blend rolled oats in a food processor or a grinder, it’s so easy and inexpensive.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
- ⅔ cup raw chickpeas, soaked overnight (120 g)
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ onion
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- 8 tbsp oat flour
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight.
- Add chickpeas to a food processor or blender and blend for a few seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the oat flour) and mix to combine. Don't overblend, you want a chunky texture.
- Add the oat flour and blend just until it's mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the mixture in a bowl, cover and let stand in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven 390ºF or 200ºC.
- Make about 20 small discs, place them onto a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake them for 30-40 minutes or until they're golden brown, flipping once at the halfway point for even cooking (the time may vary depending of the oven you're using).
- Serve with vegan yogurt sauce and your favorite raw veggies.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or any other social network).