We’ve found an apartament in Cologne, yay! We’re soooo happy and counting the days to start our new life in Germany. There are so many vegan places we want to go to and hundreds of new recipes and ingredients we wanna try. ?
The original recipe is from Alberto’s mother, but we made some changes, as usual, I think we never make a recipe like the original one. Our version is fat-free because we used water instead of extra virgin olive oil to sauté the veggies, but feel free to use oil if you want. You can also add some oil when the stew is ready to serve.
This is healthy comfort food! It’s a super satiating dish, perfect for cold days, although I love legumes so much I could eat them all year round, even in the hot summer of Spain, it’s totally worth it! ?
- We used Spanish Pardina lentils, but feel free to use any other type of lentils, although the cooking time and the water you’re going to need may vary.
- You can use vegetable broth instead of the water or other liquids like soy sauce, tamari, wine, vinegar, etc. to cook the veggies. To make the stew even more tasty, use vegetable broth instead of water to cook the lentils and the potatoes, but maybe you’ll need to add less salt.
- Canned lentils are okay, but add them to the stew when the potatoes are cooked.
- Veggies are optional, so use what you’ve got on hand or what’s in season in your area.
- If you can’t find tomato paste, use tomato sauce or canned or fresh chopped tomatoes instead.
- Don’t be afraid to add or remove any ingredient, this stew is so easy to make and always work.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
- 5 cups water (1 l + 250 ml)
- ½ onion
- 1 carrot
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup uncooked lentils (100 g)
- 1 pound potatoes (450 g)
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pour 2 cups of water (500 ml) into a large pot and bring it to a boil. Then add the veggies (chopped), except the potatoes and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Blend the sauce and pour it into the pot again.
- Add the tomato paste, stir and add the lentils and 3 cups of water more (750 ml). Cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes (diced) and cook for another 20 minutes or until they're cooked.
- Add the oregano, paprika and salt, stir and cook for 5 minutes more.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!