As I told you before, finding vegan dishes at restaurants here in Spain can be challenging sometimes, but patatas bravas is a quite popular tapa here. Although the traditional recipe is vegan, some restaurants also add mayonnaise, so order it without the mayo.
You can find a roasted patatas bravas recipe here on the blog, but as I’m following a high carb low fat diet most of the time (it’s almost impossible to eat this way at restaurants), when I make patatas bravas at home I make this fat-free recipe, which is amazing and so simple.
We’ll share mostly high carb low fat vegan recipes in the future, but you can use oil or any other fat if you want. It’s really easy to make oil-free recipes and they taste damn good and we feel better than ever! ?
- If you don’t have an oven or don’t want to use it, steam the potatoes instead until they’re tender.
- Feel free to use other types of chili or any hot sauce.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
Fat Free Patatas Bravas
Patatas bravas is one of the most popular tapas in Spain. This fat-free recipe is heatlhier than the traditional one and tastes so good!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2-4
- 1 pound white potatoes (500 g)
- 1/4 cup water (65 ml)
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 red chile, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Preheat the oven to 355ºF or 180ºF.
- Wash the potatoes, don’t peel them and cut them into cubes.
- Bake them for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Precalienta el horno a 180ºC ó 355ºF.
- In the meantime, place the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan (except the sweet paprika) and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Blend the sauce in a blender and pour it into the saucepan again. Add the paprika and cook for 15 minutes more over medium heat.
- Serve the potatoes with some sauce on top.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!