This chocolate orange cake is moist, fluffy and it has an intense chocolate flavor, so you’ll love it and you’ll can’t stop to eat. It’s also vegan and gluten-free and really addictive! You don’t have to make the frosting if you don’t want to, but it’s so delicious and creamy, you should try it!
If you don’t like the orange flavor you can remove the orange marmalade and replace the orange juice with another liquid such as almond milk.
If you like chocolate as much as we do, you can’t live without trying this cake, at least once in your life! It’s the perfect vegan and gluten-free chocolate cake. Seriously, I’m not kidding.
This chocolate cake is inspired in this recipe from Chinmayie at Love Food Eat. Our cake is very similar, although we have slightly modified.
To make oatmeal you just have to grind oats using a food processor or a grinder, although you can also use other flours, if you want, but it’s possible you need to add more or less liquid, it depends the kind of flour you use.
We’ve used flax seeds to replace eggs for the first time and we’re in love. So far we’ve used bananas or applesauce, but we prefer flax seeds because they provide no flavor. If you don’t wanna use flax seeds, you can see how to replace them in the recipe box.
We’ve made this chocolate orange cake for the first anniversary of our Spanish blog, Danza de Fogones, so you are all invited to eat a piece of cake and celebrate with us. Thanks for being there!
Chocolate Orange Cake (Vegan & GF)
This chocolate orange cake is moist, fluffy and it has an intense chocolate flavor, so you’ll love it and you’ll can’t stop to eat. It’s also vegan and gluten-free and really addictive!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds + 6 tablespoons water*
- 1 cup chickpea flour (100 grams)
- 1 cup GF oat flour (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (50 grams)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup agave syrup**
- 1 cup orange juice (250 milliliters)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (50 grams)***
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup water (125 milliliters)
- 7 ounces dates (200 grams)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven at 180º C or 355 º F.
- Add the flax seeds and the water in a blender, blend and keep it aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (chickpea flour, oat flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and baking powder). Mix well.
- Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl (flax seeds+water, agave syrup, orange juice, oil and orange marmalade). Mix well.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tin. We used a baking tin with removable bottom (diameter: 22 cm or 8”). We put baking paper on the bottom of the baking tin.
- Bake at 180 º C or 355 º F for about 35 or 40 minutes. Let cool the cake before unmolding.
- For the frosting, blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Once the cake is fully cooled, frost and serve immediately. Decorate the cake with fresh orange slices.
*You can use: 2 bananas or 7 ounces/200 grams applesauce instead of flax eggs (flax seeds + water).
**You can use maple syrup, coconut nectar, honey (if you’re not vegan), brown sugar or the sweetener you like instead of agave syrup.
***You can use other oil if you want.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 386
- Sugar: 51.4 g
- Sodium: 220.2 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 74.9 g
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 7.5 g