As I told you before, I’m studying to be a health coach at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) and I’m sooo happy. The course is amazing and I’m learning so many interesting things, it’s a life-changing experience. I’ve just learnt a lot about whole grains and I want to try them all, there are so many different choices and recipes… I’m really excited about it!
I love my oatmeal or porridge in the morning, especially during fall and winter, but I’ve always used oats to make it, so I tried to use brown rice and it was delicious as well and a super satisfying meal. Feel free to use any natural sweetener, fruits, cocoa powder or raw cacao instead of the carob powder and add or remove any ingredient you want, the only ingredients you really need to use are rice and water because you can also make the porridge without the milk, using more water.
Don’t forget the 50% off ebook discount ends tomorrow, don’t waste this opportunity to take care of your health!
Brown Rice Breakfast Porridge
This brown rice breakfast porridge is a delicious alternative to the traditional oatmeal or porridge. It’s a super satisfying meal!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 1/2 cup brown rice (100 g)
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- 2 cups unsweetened plant milk of your choice (500 ml)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp carob powder
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 bananas
- Pistachios and almond flakes for garnish (optional)
- Soak the rice overnight or for at least 4 hours. This step is optional, but I like to soak my grains because they usually contain phytic acid and it binds minerals in the digestive tract. Besides, when you soak your grains, they’re easier to digest and this also reduces the cooking time.
- Drain and rinse the rice and place it in a saucepan with the water. Cook over high heat until the water is boiling and then reduce the heat and cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Pour the milk into the saucepan and cook for another 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and add the almond butter and the carob powder. Stir until well combined.
- Serve the porridge in two bowls. Add one teaspoon of sugar and a sliced banana per serving.
- We also added some chopped pistachios and some almond flakes on top, but this is optional. We toasted the almonds in a frying pan without oil for a few minutes.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!