Fabada asturiana is a Spanish bean stew, originally from Asturias, a region located in the north of Spain. This is my version and is quite different than the traditional one, which is not vegan at all!
The recipes I usually share in the blog are simple because I want to show you that cooking vegan and healthy is so easy and you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen to make delicious meals, there are so many recipes you can make in less than 30 minutes.
I love this simple vegan fabada recipe because you just need 20 minutes to make a comforting, nutritious, healthy stew, perfect for fall!
- Traditional fabada is made with dried large white beans (fabes de la granja) soaked overnight, but I used canned fabes. If you can’t find them, use cannellini beans instead.
- Add your favorite veggies: potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, whatever! Feel free to add some herbs or spices.
- I used ground turmeric instead of saffron because is more affordable and easy to find, but you can use it if you want.
- Oil-free recipe: remove the oil and cook the veggies in some water, vegetable broth, tamari, soy sauce or any other liquid you have on hand.
PRODUCT I USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE (AFFILIATE LINK):
20-Minute Vegan Spanish Fabada
I love this simple vegan Spanish fabada recipe because you just need 20 minutes to make this comforting, nutritious, healthy stew, perfect for fall!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 oz canned or cooked fabes, you can use cannellini beans instead(400 g)
- 1/2 or 1 cup water (depending the consistency you’re looking for)
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pot and cook the cloves of garlic and the onion over medium-high heat for about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Blend the veggies with 1/4 fabes or beans (50 g) and the water until smooth.
- Pour the mixture in the pot and add the rest of the ingredients, excluding the oil. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, stir and serve.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave a comment below or tag a picture #simpleveganblog on Instagram (or any other social network).